Oh Canada! Settling In, Or The Lack Of It
What I find difficult is this:
- The weather. The constant grey clouds and wet air. The claustrophobic feeling of always being met by rain when outside.
- The food. Nothing has wowed me yet; food taste weird. Like it's missing components, like it's trying to taste like food but it's not. It's also really expensive: the only thing that saves us at the moment is the conversion rate from Eur/Sek to Cad.
- Smells. On buses, on streets, in houses. Wet clothes, alcohol, drugs, human despair, mold, you name it - it's all there.
- Being away from my family, of course.
- The feeling of not fitting in, of not being where I'm meant to be.
- Being unemployed / looking for jobs. Do I need to explain further?
- Having no place of our own, and knowing that we need to look for places soon enough.
What makes my heart sparkle a bit extra is this:
- Whenever it's not raining, the whole city comes alive. There are beaches, mountains, and sunsets to explore.
- Our AirBnB, what a gem to find. We're there till the end of March; it's nice to have something for a longer period than couch surfing from place to place.
- Cute coffee shops and boutiques with local-everything.
- The library. We just (finally) got our library cards and oh my, what a safe spot! A quiet place where it's warm, where everyone is quiet and give each other space? Bless libraries, may you live on forever.